Duckett Truffieres is home of
LAGOTTO ROMAGNOLO of CANADA
Canadian Bred, Raised and Trained Working Lagotto Dogs
LAGOTTO ROMAGNOLA: The Breed
History of Lagotti
The Lagotto Romagnola is an ancient working breed developed in the Romagna area of Italy. Originally used for water retrieval and believed to be the hereditary source of current water dogs, their marshy home area was drained in the mid 1800s, leaving them to gradually become specialized as truffle hunters. Near extinction as a pure strain, specific efforts to revive and define the breed began in the 1970s.
Now clearly defined, they are now bred in Europe, Australia, the United States and Canada. Ducketts, through their ‘Lagotto Romagnolo of Canada‘, are among the few Canadian breeders.
Lagotto Breed Characteristics
Some of the most important and appealing characteristics of Lagotti are:
- Their personalities are bright, happy, affectionate, loving and obedient with a fervent wish to please their masters;
- They have keen senses, particularly smell. With many generations of being bred for searching for things it is not surprising that they are the primary breed of dogs used for truffle hunting and are known world-wide as “Lagotto Truffle Dog”. They can also be trained to hunt for other scents;
- Lagottos are known as a breed that is “non-shedding” and anti-allergenic, making them great dogs for people with allergies and sensitivities.
- Very agile, robust, and intelligent – they are easily trained in both search and helper areas;
- Devoted to their families and excellent with children, Lagotti are proving themselves as assistance dogs;
WORKING LAGOTTO ROMAGNOLO Dogs at Duckett Truffieres
Contessa, The Queen of Canadian Truffle Dogs
Imported from Italy in 2007 by Ducketts, Contessa showed true working form by finding Canada’s first Black Perigord Truffles at Duckett Truffieres in winter 2007.
|Throughout the past 10 years, Ducketts’ and Crew at Lagotto Romagnolo of Canada/Duckett Truffieres, have globally searched for the best conforming Lagotto they could find for their lineage of Working Lagotto.|
Watch our News page for upcoming puppies!
Download our current lagotto poster!
PURCHASING A LAGOTTO Puppy/Dog
All breeding dogs at Ducketts undergo rigorous screening for breed characteristics, conformity to standards, intelligence and ideal personality and are tested for any hereditary birth defects such as Juvenile Epilepsy, LSD, good non-shedding coat and hip dysplasia.
Shortly after birth our Lagotto pups are checked thoroughly by a veterinarian, including:
- complete physical examination,
- administration of deworming and first immunization shots,
- Micro-chipped for identification, and
- specification of a strict custom veterinary protocol through at least eight weeks. The puppies are raised according to this protocol and provided with a Licensed Vet Health Certification at purchase.
In addition, Lagotto Romagnolo of Canada LRC is a closed facility, ensuring it remains clean, free of giardia, toxoplasmosis, cocci and kennel cough. When you purchase a dog from Duckett Lineage, you are receiving a world-class premium Lagotto. Ducketts Lagotto guarantee is provided by and completely within the scope of this Vet Health Certification, with conditions limited to this Certification.
All Lagotto Romagnolo pups whelped at Ducketts are also:
- Routinely groomed, handled and socialized with humans and other dogs;
- CKC registration completed with Registered Sire/Dam Records.
Should you wish to purchase a puppy or dog of this rare and distinguished breed we ask for your completed application in order to reserve a pup. Once your application is received you will be placed on our waiting list.
A deposit is required to reserve a Lagotto Romagnolo well in advance of delivery. Deposits are placed on the applicants file toward their final cost of confirmed delivery of a puppy/dog for a 2 year period, at which time deposits are forfeited. Demand is high for Ducketts premium lineage so we recommend applying now for spring 2018 pups.
Lagotto have been identified as an ideal breed to train for some of the highest need areas of assistance dogs, including custom trained dogs for specific patients with Autism Spectral Disorder (ASD) and for Alzheimer’s patients. We are researching this area with certainty that more dogs capable of filling these needs are urgently needed. If you are interested in maintaining the breeding potential of your dog it is important that we know when you purchase your pup so the best future sire or dam is chosen. We also require a Breeders’ Agreement in order to waive neutering or spaying.
If you are interested in contributing to a program to identify, train and supply specialized assistance dogs to people with special needs please contact us.
More About the Lagotto Breed
The breed, Lagotto Romagnolo, is now an accepted Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) breed, under “Sporting Dogs”, and is open for showing in events in Canada. Ducketts were privileged to present the new Lagotto Breed Standard in Canada to the CKC/CDJA Educational Judges Conference in 2012. Lagotto Romagnolo of Canada conformation guidelines were presented by Beatrice Duckett.
To learn more about Lagotto Romagnolo of Canada and the common charcteristics and breed specifications for show go to the Lagotto Romagnolo of Canada website. The Canadian Kennel Club website also has the Lagotto specifications.
The American Kennel Club has brief information on the Lagotto Romagnola Breed.
National Geographics “Museum Secrets” episode explains Truffling Lagotti.